CALL FOR 2 X 2 CURATORS IN RESIDENCE AS A PART OF THE STUDIO LAB RESIDENCY
Notification: Friday, November 18, 2016
Pro Arts is now accepting applications from early-career Bay Area-based curators for a month-long curatorial residency at Pro Arts Gallery’s Studio Lab in Oakland. The Studio Lab Residency will culminate in the production of one exhibition of 2 x 2, a two-part exhibition series presenting new work from four accomplished emerging Bay Area artists.
The first curatorial residency will begin in February 2017 and will culminate in an exhibition, scheduled to open in May 2017. The second curatorial residency will begin in March 2017 and will culminate in an exhibition, scheduled to open in June 2017.
The Studio Lab Residency offers early-career curators substantial institutional support. Curators in residence receive a stipend of $1,000, office space, exhibition budget, the Pro Arts gallery for experimentation and final exhibition presentation, administrative support, marketing and publicity support, and access to Pro Arts’ large network of curators, artists and peers. This residency also encourages curators to actively participate in other scheduled Pro Arts programs and events.
About the 2 x 2 Program:
Since 2010, the 2 x 2 exhibitions have served as a significant platform for the production of and the engagement with contemporary art in Oakland and beyond. Simultaneously, the 2 x 2 exhibitions have also become a critical launching pad for some of the most exciting up-and-coming Bay Area curators and artists.
While working closely and in collaboration with Pro Arts staff, the two selected curators in residence will select two artists each and will be responsible for the conceptualization, organization and realization of their 2 x 2 exhibitions. This includes conducting studio visits, ongoing and clear communication with artists, final artwork selection, design and branding of exhibition marketing and publicity collateral, as well as audience development for the exhibition and community outreach. In addition, curators will contribute to the exhibition planning and installation, educational materials and signage, and the 2 x 2 catalog design and production. Curators in residence will also be responsible for the public programs and events that will accompany each exhibition in order to further engage audiences living in Oakland and beyond.
Submission Guidelines & Requirements:
- Less than 5 years paid curatorial experience.
- Basic technical skills and have a solid intellectual grounding in curatorial ideas
- Recent post-graduates, artist-curators and creatives whose developing voices reveal significant potential as risk-takers and community leaders are encouraged to apply.
- The Studio Lab Residency program combines the opportunity for both evolving and experimental work, as well as a focused and deadline driven work.
- Pro Arts encourages and actively recruits applicants representing dimensions of difference that include, but are not limited to age, gender, race, religion, ethnicity, national origin, sexual orientation, ability or political affiliation.
Applications should include:
- Curatorial statement (maximum 4,000 characters) with web links of past exhibition documentation
- Resume (maximum 8,000 characters)
- Up to 8 images of curated exhibitions (.jpg, approx 800 x 600 pixels and 72 dpi)
Applications must be emailed by Friday, October 21, 2016, midnight deadline to: email@example.com. Please include “ 2 x 2 Curatorial Residency” in the subject line.
Submissions will be reviewed on the basis of relevance, artistic merit, community engagement and feasibility. Applications will be reviewed by a Curatorial Review Panel that will make selection recommendations. This panel is composed of members of Pro Arts’ Curatorial Advisory Committee, guest panelists drawn from a diverse pool of artists and curators in the Bay Area, and past 2 x 2 curators, and collaborators.