Call for Entry
Call for Exhibition Proposals
Wednesday, January 2, 2013
DEADLINE EXTENDED to Tuesday, January 8, 2013
The Annual Call for Exhibition Proposals is an open submission process for artists and curators to present and produce curated exhibitions in collaboration with Pro Arts. One proposal will be selected. Participation is open to all artists and curators. Entry is free for current Pro Arts members and $15 for non-members.
Proposals are evaluated on feasibility, relevance, artistic excellence, extent that the project is new or takes risks, and artistic merit. The program prioritizes collaborative proposals including five artists or more.
Submitted proposals are reviewed by Pro Arts' Independent Curatorial Review Panel. This panel is composed of members of Pro Arts' Curatorial Advisory Committee, and guest panelists drawn from artists and curators in the Bay Area, and past collaborators.
- Submission is via the Online Artist Registration system only.
- Submissions must include an exhibition narrative, 500 words maximum, describing the project concept and significance and relevance to showing at Pro Arts in Oakland.
- Submissions must include a short (1 paragraph) bio for EACH artist and curator, including urls (links) to past exhibition documentation.
- Submissions can include up to eight supporting images.
- No catalogues, resumes or other supporting materials will be accepted.
- Entry is FREE for Pro Arts members. $15 for non-members.
- Deadine for Submission: Tuesday, January 8, 2013
- Selected Curator/Artist Notified: Tuesday, January 15, 2013
- Artwork Drop-Off Date: Saturday, February 16, 2013
- Exhibition Dates: Tuesday, February 26 - Friday, March 29, 2013
- Artists' Reception: Friday, March 1, 2013
- Artwork Pick-Up Date: Easter Saturday, March 30, 2013
PRO ARTS PROVIDES:
- Collaboration for exhibition
- Access to premises as necessary to complete installation
- Installation and de-installation assistance
- Gallery staffing during regular gallery hours
- Exhibition signage and documentation in the gallery
- Institutional marketing in support of the exhibition
- Sales coordination
- Design and production of exhibition postcards for distribution
- Gallery management and compliance oversight
Pro Arts does not provide materials for artists (monitors, video equipment, etc.). The curator/artist is responsible for all alterations made to the gallery (painting the walls, returning space to previous condition, etc.). Please note that the gallery does NOT reimburse for shipping and installation costs. A modest honorarium is awarded to the selected proposal.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
Q: Can I send more than one proposal?
A: No, Pro Arts will accept one proposal per person with no exception, however an artist or curator may be included in multiple projects submitted.
Q: Who can submit an exhibition proposal?
A: Participation is open to all artists and curators. Previous curatorial experience is not required.
Q: Can more than one curator be attached to a proposal?
A: Yes, curatorial teams may apply together.
Q: I am an artist. Can I submit a proposal of my own work?
A: Pro Arts prioritizes collaborative proposals. Individuals may submit proposals for consideration.
Q: Can I submit a traveling exhibition?
A: No, we will not consider proposals for exhibitions that have previously been installed elsewhere.
Image: Mutation, 2012 Selection Exhibition Call. Lead artist: JOEMUR