Call for Entry
Oakland Art Gallery and Pro Arts Present
Call for Exhibition Proposals
Entry Deadline: Thursday, January 5, 2011 -- Extended--
The Annual Call for Exhibition Proposals is an open submission process for artists and curators to present and produce curated exhibitions in collaboration with Pro Arts. One proposal will be selected. Participation is open to all artists and curators. Entry is free for current Pro Arts members and $15 for non-members.
Exhibition Proposal Guidelines
Proposals are evaluated on feasibility, relevance, artistic excellence, extent that the project is new or takes risks, and artistic merit. Submitted proposals are reviewed by Pro Arts' Independent Curatorial Review Panel. This panel is composed of members of Pro Arts' Curatorial Advisory Committee, and guest panelists drawn from artists and curators in the Bay Area, and past collaborators.
- Dates of Exhibition: February 28 - March 30, 2012
- Notification by Saturday, January 14, 2012
- The program prioritizes collaborative proposals including five artists or more.
- Exhibition narratives are limited to 500 words maximum- must include project concept and description, significance and relevance to showing at Pro Arts in Oakland, CA.
- Up to eight images supporting your proposal.
- Submissions must include a short (1 paragraph) bio for EACH artist and curator, including urls (links) to past exhibition documentation.
- No catalogs, resumes, CV, or other support materials will be accepted.
- Entry is FREE for Pro Arts members. $15 for non-members.
Pro Arts provides:
- Collaboration for exhibition.
- Access to premises as necessary to complete installation.
- Installation and de-installation assistance.
- Gallery staffing during regular gallery hours.
- Exhibition signage and documentation in the gallery.
- Institutional marketing in support of the exhibition.
- Sales coordination
- Design and production of exhibition postcards for distribution.
- Gallery management and compliance oversight.
Pro Arts does not provide materials for artists (monitors, video equipment, etc.). The curator/artist is responsible for all alterations made to the gallery (painting the walls, returning space to previous condition, etc.). Please note that the gallery does NOT reimburse for shipping and installation costs. A modest honorarium is awarded to the selected proposal.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQS)
Q: Can I send more than one proposal?
A: No, Pro Arts will accept one proposal per person with no exception, however an artist or curator may be included in multiple projects submitted.
Q: When will the selected exhibitions be on view at Pro Arts?
A: Dates of Exhibition: February 28 - March 30, 2012
Q: Who can submit an exhibition proposal?
A: Participation is open to all artists and curators. Previous curatorial experience is not required.
Q: Can more than one curator be attached to a proposal?
A: Yes, curatorial teams may apply together.
Q: I am an artist. Can I submit a proposal of my own work?
A: Pro Arts prioritizes collaborative proposals. Individuals may submit proposals for consideration. Please consider PROJECT: Commissions for individual artists.
Q: Can I submit a traveling exhibition?
A: No, we will not consider proposals for exhibitions that have previously been installed elsewhere.
Q: Why are Pro Arts and Oakland Art Gallery collaborating on the Call for Exhibition Proposals?
A: Pro Arts and the Oakland Art Gallery are working together to ensure high quality programming in the visual arts in the Oakland/ Bay Area.
For more information, please contact email@example.com or 510.763.4361
Major funding provided by The Andy Warhol Foundation for the Visual Arts.